The LEAP Forward Internship Program is typically a 6 week paid internship for current MMSD Health Sciences Pathways sophomores. It is hosted by UW-Madison in collaboration with the Madison Metropolitan School District & Personalized Pathways efforts. However due to COVID-19 we have to restructure the program to ensure safety for all participants and staff.
We are excited to share that for Summer 2021 we will be offering an 8 week online LEAP Forward course where students will earn one UW-Madison college credit. This course is for MMSD Health Sciences Pathways sophomores and juniors.
Participating in the LEAP Forward course you will not only gain knowledge within the field of Health Sciences but you will also get exposure to the opportunities which exist for you beyond High School, whether at UW-Madison or elsewhere. Apply now to become a UW-Madison student for 8 weeks while gaining critical knowledge through this LEAP Forward course.
What is LEAP Forward?
LEAP Forward is focused on providing an exceptional college course experience for students that will help them learn and grow. The course will bring in professionals to highlight the wide net of possible perfect matches for students with any interest in Health Sciences. As well as provide an opportunity for students to learn more about the college admission process, financial aid components, and much more.
Interns will also develop a collaborative project based on the course, which they will present virtually at the conclusion of the program.
The following core program components will shape not only the 8-week course but also provide interns with skills for their future endeavors.
- Learn about oneself and become more self-aware
- Utilize and grow communication and collaboration skills
- Value learning as well as personal and career development
- Understand various cultures and their contributions towards our surroundings
- Develop and practice decision-making skills
- Focus on moving ideas into action
When does LEAP Forward take Place?
The LEAP Forward course will be all online and begin on the week of June 21st and run through August 15th, for a total of 8 weeks. The class will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1pm-3pm.
Where is LEAP Forward Located?
The LEAP Forward course will be online and run through Canvas, a UW-Madison online academic platform.
Why was LEAP Forward Created?
Central to the LEAP Forward experience is the values of Integrity, Engagement, as well as Connection & Community. Through the LEAP Forward course you will not only gain knowledge within the field of Health Sciences but you will also get exposure to the opportunities which exist for you beyond High School. Whether those post-High-school plans are with UW-Madison or elsewhere, this experience will help prepare each student to realize their own future success.
In addition, students will become a UW-Madison student for 8 weeks and receive a UW-Madison Independent Study Credit (1 credit).
The application will require the two documents below be submitted. All documents should be submitted electronically with the application (be sure the applicant name is on each document).
- A signed Parent/Guardian Consent Form
- Your unofficial high school transcript
There will be 4 short-answer questions you should be prepared to answer on the application, those four questions are below:
- Why are you interested in this program?
- Tell us about a time when you had to be a leader, advocate for someone, or stand up for yourself.
- Tell us about a time you made a mistake or had to do something that you weren’t good at.
- The COVID-19 Pandemic has had a significant impact on the past year. Tell us how the pandemic has impacted your life and how do you think it has allowed you to grow as an individual?
Maximum of 1,000 characters per question